Sunday, 15 September 2013

Hell




No one in Filey preaches about it these days to my knowledge. I have often praised Lay Anglicana's award winning site and I hope you have blogrolled it. Today , as  I sit waiting for a train I have time to search and read my own favourite blogs and was drawn to this one Whatever happened to Hell? Its a good article by a young person, well researched, but not drawing on any biblical references, as I was trained to do. 

Some Christians believe every word of the Bible is literally true.I have had a couple of run- ins with some in our own fellowship who do. I believe in Evolution, having heard a series of talks some years back from Jonathan Couper at Christchurch Bridlington,  because I trust him and his interpretation , even though I questioned it through first, think his views are sound enough for me. 
Here it is then-I want to know about Hell. Anyone who has reached my age knows that hellish  things are going on all over the world, and in Filey! But I know too that my finite mind cannot grasp the Heaven and hell of the Bible, only glimpse them  through sensual experiences . I believe that Jesus knows what Hell is , because He went there so I wouldnt have to , but I would like it explained to me.
So for now I am going to believe that Hell is where no God Is, and I shall want that explained to me too.

This is just a scrap of what is recorded to have been said by Jesus( I do believe what he says !)


Matthew 5:22
But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, “Raca,” is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, “You fool!” will be in danger of the fire of hell.Matthew 5:21-23 (in Context) Matthew 5 (Whole Chapter)
Matthew 18:9
And if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire ofhell.Matthew 18:8-10 (in Context) Matthew 18 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
Matthew 23:15
‘Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.Matthew 23:14-16 (in Context) Matthew 23 (Whole Chapter)
Matthew 23:33
‘You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?Matthew 23:32-34 (in Context) Matthew 23 (Whole Chapter)
Mark 9:45
And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.Mark 9:44-46 (in Context) Mark 9 (Whole Chapter)
And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell,Mark 9:46-48 (in Context) Mark 9 (Whole Chapter)

And why the sunflowers, well they look to the sun , as we should look to the son. Couldnt face giving you a Doom Painting.

Not one for the Envoy, Marilyn!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...