Saturday, 8 June 2013

THANK YOU FOR THIS!

pic Emily Burger*
It  has not been a good week for me. Most days I have had to praise God and pray  till I just got to a place where I knew all will be well and all will be well.  When signs of the Holy Spirit are keenly felt in a place, Filey in this case, an expected side effect is that the Devil works to spoil it. I remember that he is a defeated foe ,and can take authority over his efforts. ON Wednesday Marilyn asked me to find THIS hymn on utube to play at Homegroup. I have been singing it in my head since then. It  was amazingly written in 1863. 
Before the throne of God above
Here is the link to it 
http://youtu.be/EQ6QaZcPphM

AND TODAY SHE HAS COME UP WITH ANOTHER ONE, AND HAS WRITTEN A POST FOR US ABOUT IT. THIS ONE WAS WRITTEN IN 17TH CENTURY. SO AS COLIN URQUART WOULD SAY -IT HASN'T LOST ITS ANOINTING

 MMROWLING


Marilyns Post
This 17th century hymn is a wonderful affirmation of God loving care for His people, even in the midst of trouble. I just love how old hymns are being given new tunes and being used in modern worship. Just a little bit of background about its author.
Samuel Rodigast was the Son of a Luth­e­ran min­is­ter and attended the Un­i­ver­si­ty of Je­na (MA 1671), then joined the phil­o­so­phy fa­cul­ty there. In 1680, he  be­came con­rec­tor (Vice Principal) at the Grey­fri­ars Gym­na­si­um in Ber­lin. He de­clined ap­point­ments as a pro­fess­or at the Un­i­ver­si­ty of Je­na and rec­tor at schools in Stade and Stral­sund, choos­ing to stay in Ber­lin.

He wrote this hymn to cheer his friend Gas­tor­i­us who had b­ecome ser­i­ous­ly ill.  Gas­tor­i­us not on­ly re­cov­ered, but went on to write the tune for Rod­i­gast’s words. Later this was  trans­lat­ed from Ger­man to Eng­lish by Ca­ther­ine Wink­worth, 1863.

Whate’er my God ordains is right,
His holy will abideth.
I will be still whate’er He does,
And follow where He guideth.
He is my God,
Though dark my road.
He holds me that I shall not fall
Wherefore to Him I leave it all
He holds me that I shall not fall

Whate’er my God ordains is right,
He never will deceive me
He leads me by the proper path,
I know He will not leave me
I take, content,
What He hath sent
His hand can turn my griefs away
And patiently I wait His day
His hand can turn my griefs away

Whate’er my God ordains is right,
Though now this cup in drinking
May bitter seem to my faint heart,
I take it all unshrinking
My God is true,
Each morn anew
Sweet comfort yet shall fill my heart
And pain and sorrow shall depart
Sweet comfort yet shall fill my heart

Whate’er my God ordains is right,
 
Here shall my stand be taken
Though sorrow, need, or death be mine,
 
Yet I am not forsaken
My Father’s care
Is round me there
He holds me that I shall not fall
And so to Him I leave it all
He holds me that I shall not fall




POSTED FOR MARILYN BRIGGS


*http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/EmilyBurgerDesigns

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...