Friday, 31 August 2012

Engravings



When you speak out the word engraved it could lead you to graveyards, etymologically and sequentially. And so both words have been part of my morning today.
There are several of us in the Parish who are sometimes called upon to locate a grave for someone doing their family history, or seeking out the last resting place of a long dead relation. Recently I found the stone marking the cremated remains of someone who died in 1998. The detective work took me to the spot, working on the records of inscriptions done by John and Maisie Crimlisk **to 1978  John Siddle and others to 2000. As I write Ian Elsom is bringing the recording even further up to date and photographing memorial stones* and completing a survey.
I found the stone slab as asked. It could only be read with difficulty, and was covered over with grass which needed to be cut away.
Crimlisk plan of St Oswalds Churchyard 1978

Today I could not find the asked for grave at all. It is simply not in the records because there was no readable marker in 1978. That does not mean the person is not buried in St Oswalds Churchyard ,records of deaths kept at the Records Office in Beverley will have recorded that.The record book kept in the Parish goes to Beverley for safe keeping, when it is full. I am trying to find time in the future to photograph the pages , but can only do that when the wardens are in the Church , as the book is rightly,stored securely. This too is not a failsafe record of actual position of burial, as not all incumbants have indicated a marker no.even based on the Crimlisk Recording system, which although out of date , does act as a rough guide. I did find the grave of the next of kin (using the Crimlisk system), it is a huge plot and probably is also the resting place of the asked for person. There is as much supposition here as is found on  Channel 4s Time team.


St Oswalds Filey has one of the largest graveyards in the area. It is a place of haven and tranquillity. Today (mostly) men in green apparel are looking for warblers . Filey is a well known spot for rare birds, and those flying off course. Our graveyard is well kept, by the firm we pay £££ a year to for grass strimming, and by Filey Lions who do it for love, and dozens of local families who tend the area around their own wellkept family plots. I have just visited  my childhood church in Sutton In Holderness, to go to a service in the Church  where Colin and I were married 40yrs ago and seen my own family graves. They are overgrown and  the engravings are worn away.I asked my aged parent what she wanted me to do and she said 'Nothing'. St James Churchyard is gently going back to nature.It is well kept but graves are not tended.  Rob Haywood  has photographed  graves (and these photos can be seen in the village).So the record is there. 
Bruce family Grave Sutton -in -Holderness, St James
My family graves all need to be engraved again if we are to continue to want to read the inscriptions which act as markers. I rarely visit my home village.  I dont need to see the graves personally, but I will weed it next time I am there . *** SEE BELOW 

'Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of My hands' AV Isaiah 49v16

 I am there already , engraved , not written,  on Gods Hands. That will never fade, never get overgrown, and always will be remembered. 

*Here I commend you Ian Elsoms excellent and meticulous blog Looking at Filey and links  the Filey Tree 
**Copy Held By Filey Parish  and in Crimlisk  Fisher Archive  held in the Filey Council Offices in Queen Street and open to the public on Wednesdays


We have , on the death of my Aged parent last September been able to do away with the Old family grave  and  purchase a lovely new one .

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...