Sunday, 19 August 2012

Cannibalism and its part in our life

Story of John Rae 


What a way to get us all listening this morning: Nancy Eckersley tells us of John Rae  and his report of the cannibalism amongst the Franklin Expedition Survivors in the 19th C ,

 we are spellbound! 

The way she explained the teaching behind todays 2 readings from 1 Corinthians 10 14to 24 (chosen probably to complement the Gospel) and

Gospel: John 6.51-58 in light of Jewish Ritual and Gentile Ritual really helped me and got me wanting to know more.

Jesus said to the Jews: ‘I am the living bread that came down from heaven. 
Whoever eats of this bread will live for ever; and the bread that I will give 
for the life of the world is my flesh.’ The Jews then disputed among 
themselves, saying, ‘How can this man give us his flesh to eat?’ So Jesus 
said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of 
Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh 
and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last 
day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat 
my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living 
Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will 
live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not 
like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats 
this bread will live for ever.’


In our home group last week we were all saying how much we needed more teaching on the Bible. We are doing Johns Gospel , and now that our learned leader Brian has moved away we are having to make sure we are finding sound teaching to share.
Now here comes the difficulty-
Whose work is sound? What does 'sound' mean? Do we follow everything that Mary and Brian said over the years and agree with their interpretation. Do we listen to Nancy Eckersley or follow every word that Tom Wright or Constable say. We have all chosen to worship in an Evangelical Anglican Church. That narrows the field for interpretation somewhat. If our homegroup follows  the teaching of Martyn Lloyd Jones or John Stott, respected Bible teachers and expositors both, we still do not have their  concord on every point.  That seems to be where a homegroup is really important.

 None of us has any answers. What is so useful to all of us is that we are talking, listening to each other, acknowledging our lack of even basic bible knowledge and praying for the Holy Spirit who promises us to lead us into all truth. We havent got to John 16 yet, but what a good Wednesday evening that will be

'But when the Friend comes, the Spirit of the Truth, he will take you by the hand and guide you into all the truth there is. '


What a relief!!

If you are wondering about joining one of the Filey homegroups for Filey Parish , please try and come to the Get  together and Sharing on Tuesday 11th September at St Johns (see September Envoy page 7, where Pam Roberts has explained the Open Event .)

If you are reading this and not part of our Church Family , there will be homegroups where you live. Sometimes they are called Cell groups or Housegroups. Or consider doing and Alpha Group or an Alpha follow on group . If none of these is practical why not use  the Bible website YouVersion or its app for your mobile phone TOTALLY FREE.  The young man who sold me my mobile phone was a Christian from Hull , working in the TMobile Shop in Scarborough just on the one day I was enquiring to buy my first smart phone. He recommended the app. It has  been invaluable during the last 4 months when I have been away from home most of the time.

I now can access dozens of versions of the Bible at a click! The Bible reading plans and commentaries are easy for me to understand.


And the picture of Ray Mears and its part the post-well hes My hero!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...