Saturday, 31 March 2012

Filey Parish People blog in Lent Day 39: Brian (2)

I wish to share with you what I find very helpful in Lent. For the past few years I have been reading one of the gospels starting with John the Baptist around Shrove Tuesday and ending with the Resurrection on Easter Sunday. I have worked out my own bible readings which gets me through the bible in about 6 years; but to keep up the pace in lent, especially with the longest gospel, Luke, which I am reading this lent, the bible readings are longer. To help me understand them I use old Scripture Union notes and I often end up reading the notes for 2 or 3 days in one day. The gospel readings sometimes encourage me and sometimes convict me and I would thoroughly recommend this practice to anyone. The only exceptions are the first chapters of Matthew and Luke which I read around Christmas. Last year I did Mark but for two years before that I did a harmony of the gospels which being four times longer occupied two lents and more! The year before that I did Matthew. Do not be put off by all this - it is easier than it sounds. The hardest part is being prodded by the Holy Spirit to be a better Christian!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...