Monday, 27 February 2012

Filey Parish People blog in Lent Day 6 -Marilyn Briggs

Day 6
Norwich Cathedral but on a clear day!*
Over twenty five years ago I remember walking to work on a cold, misty day. I was living in Norwich at the time and Norwich Cathedral was obscured from view. I knew it was there but I just couldn’t see it. I remember thinking that sometimes we can’t see God at work in our lives, especially when things get really tough but that didn’t change the reality of His presence. I would love to be able to say I have always ‘held on’ to this truth but if I am honest I have often lost grasp of it and sometimes been reduced to a state of blind panic, nevertheless He has faithfully brought me back to its realisation time and again. When I retrace my steps I can see He never left me alone and at times came close to me through His people as they reached out to me in love.

Who could replace Him? Who else could we trust our lives to? Where else could we run when the going gets tough? One of my most favourite accounts in the gospels is Jesus asking the twelve disciples if they too intended to leave Him just like the others who had turned back when they found His teaching too hard to bear. ‘Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.’ – John 6: 67 and 68.




*Wikimedia Commons Licence.Taken on Historic Churches  Cycle Ride 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...