Wednesday, 25 January 2012

Hockney and crisps for the plebs

Pipers crisps -made in North Lincolnshire

We are galleried out. A few days in London with Dr Johnson's words ringing in my ears about being tired  of life* make no difference for I am tired , just tired. Each Gallery  has captive consumers waiting to either get into their timed slot or have a sit down before moving on..

Everywhere we went, it seemed very special crisps were sold. I saw Artisan crisps, handcrafted crisps handfried crisps, gluten free crisps, crisps made by the Farmer himself, even crisps fried in a 'tiny factory in deepest Devon. I know it is just the same in Theatres, Stately Homes and all places to access Culture for the masses, and that the prices reflect the carefully chosen and especial consideration of the caterer.I am quite prepared to be done unto when I am tired and in need of a sit down a packet of crisps and a Cup of Caffeine. 

What has really taken me aback in my pilgrimage around the Galleries is the marketing around the Exhibitions themselves. Am I growing Old and Cynical, did the Royal Academy have more Hockneyesque things to buy , than astounded us,then bored us with the Monet Exhibition and Hype of the 80s and again in 2010? I never wanted to see another waterlily.  I am glad that for once  this little cultural backwater that is Filey might be completely  untouched by the marketing  around David Hockneys wonderful and unforgettable Bigger Picture, until that is some of it comes to Scarborough in November .


*"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

— Samuel Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...