Thursday, 2 June 2011

His Wardenship Speaks - Support your Vicar

Its Official, two days ago I had a 'charge laid on me' by the Archdeacon and was induced to be a deputy Warden for the Parish and Church Warden at St John's. This is a heady moment for a lad who started off in Filey's Primitive Methodist tradition. Our existing wardens have told me that the post is a privilege and from what I have learnt already, they are right.

Taking such things seriously, I have read through two manuals about Church Wardens and made some internet searches. I am gratified to learn that I am the 'rump of the testes synodales', but have no idea what that means. What I do know is that within my role, neither the Vicar or PCC has any authority over me. I'm the Bishop's agent for the next year. I always thought that the Churchwarden's role was about looking after the building; this is true but the role is so much more. In any case, people, it looks like you're stuck with me for a year.


Church Warden's are required to exercise the 'practice and precept of true religion', effectively this means showing the Love of Christ to the congregation, being 'servants of all' educating them and showing the witness of the Gospel in their own lives and character. Challenging stuff to say the least.

The Churchwarden's role is that of a leader, they are there to represent the congregation to the Vicar, to listen to concerns, to spread the gospel of peace where there is discord. They are also there to protect and defend the Vicar from attack. In an extreme this might be a verbal or physical attack during a service, but might just be ensuring that the Vicar has sufficient rest is released from administrative tasks, such as producing the Parish Magazine.

I have listened to members of our PCC and others in our congregation in the past few weeks and have been delighted by their support of our Vicar, both in practical ways and, most importantly, in prayer. Here in Filey we have an unbalanced population with a large proportion of elderly people who require extra care and Love. Mary has an incredibly difficult job to do, ahe does it in a way that continually reflects the Love of God. She needs our total support,. Finally : 1 Thessalonians 5:

12 Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you. 13 Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other.




1 comment:

  1. Bobby is that picture from the St Oswalds Altar? Great post by the way and Bens Yesterday not forgetting its Ascension Day Brian!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...