Monday, 13 June 2011

Cartwheels


Yesterday my youngest child was showing me her cartwheels, we both agreed they were still a work in progress. I think she was trying to maintain a degree of normality in our day to day lives.

For the reality is that a house that is struck down by illness is different, there is a collective holding of breath and a tension which is perceptible. So it has been that in our household the last several weeks have been filled with tears and prayer. Things have not been normal, it has been tough, the day to day routines have gone, things are different. Each hour is taken as it comes, step by painful step.

I don't mind admitting I have struggled, I have had moments of depair even, but perhaps unlike previous occasions I have kept the faith and continued to pray.

Today is my 46th birthday and I was expecting a very low key affair punctuated by getting the children to school, trying to keep the plates spinning at work and caring for my wife who has struggled to get out of bed often until late in the day. As I opened my eyes this morning, however, I knew something was different. The bed was empty and I could hear someone in the shower. It was a minor miracle!

This may only be the first step on the road to recovery but boy has the Lord given me a wonderful Birthday present. "I sought the Lord, and he answered me, and delivered me from all my fears." (Psalm 34:4)

Thank you so much for your prayers, help and support.

So today on my birthday I am turning metaphorical cartwheels in praise to God.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Ben - Think we might all be on a journey to new monasticism

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...