Saturday, 30 April 2011

Filey- the most numinous place on earth


In the book Enduring Memories(a new book of essays about the Yorkshire Coast)feautured in today's Yorkshire Post magazine Dame Margaret Drabble describes Filey as the most numinous place on earth. "Numinous" isn't a word you hear everyday. It means the power or presence of Divinity. So please don't tell everyone at once but one of our greatest living writers thinks Filey is the most divine place on earth. Well I have to admit that I agree with Dame Margaret and I suspect that many of the readers of this blog feel the same way but like me don't like to shout about it too much!

I once brought a South African colleague to Filey, a deeply spiritual man who was very well travelled. He stayed at the Downcliffe Hotel long before Darren and Lizzie Booth had done such a great job turning it into such a fine boutique Hotel. He told me how he had watched the sun rise over the sea early in the morning whilst sitting on his bed. Taking him on a walking tour later he described it as the most benign place on earth.

Now I know I am biased but as I walked this evening to the cliff top near the Golf Club and looked out at Carr Naze then followed the horizon slowly Southwards to the tip of Flamborough Head and saw the setting sun glinting on the chalk cliffs at Bempton I am sure I also felt something of the divine. In fact I would go further and say I felt God's presence in the roar of the Sea and wind in my face.

I don't thank Him nearly enough for bringing me back Home to this divine and most numinous place on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...