Friday, 11 February 2011

Things one learns on a Friday


The custom of eating Fish on Fridays used to be a requirement for some Christians who needed to fast from meat once a week, so ate Fish , once considered to be the food of the poor. I saw on the BBC Great British Railway Journeys last week Michael Portillo's feature on the Oyster fishing on the Kent Coast, and was intrigued to hear that Oysters were once poor mans food, whereas now a mouthful may cost pounds in some places, though not in Lovetts.
Anyone brought up in a Fishing Port as I was , used to eat much fish and sea-food. Our neighbour in Sutton on Hull , Bert Heron , was a Skipper of a Trawler and was away for weeks in the Baltic and seas around Iceland. His homecomings usually meant a parcel of Halibut and Cod on our back door step. A glut of fish was eaten for breakfast , lunch and tea as we didn't have a fridge. 
So I thought I had eaten every fish known to  a Yorkshireman until today. I went for haddock as usual , to be cooked tonight with Oven chips. Spouse would love Fish and chips from the Chippy , but we are keeping Sister Rose sweet in the surgery, and cooking the fish sans batter in the non stick pan.  I spotted the melts, in season at the moment, so got enough for on toast tomorrow then SAW the dish of what I now know are Anchovies. 
  
Do you want to try one ?
Yes ,please! (They were delicious)

So I bought enough to fling on a salad a la Hairy Bikers, Jamie Oliver, Nigella, Come dine with me  -take your pick.  I had never had my Eyes Open , for I have been shopping there for over 20 years and missed them.
So what more might I learn on a Friday................

Psalm 146:3
Don't put your life in the hands of experts who know nothing of life, of salvation life. Mere humans don't have what it takes; when they die, their projects die with them. Instead, get help from the God of Jacob, put your hope in God and know real blessing! God made sky and soil, sea and all the fish in it. He always does what he says.......(The Message)

Some things are there all the time , waiting to be seen and  tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...