Saturday, 26 February 2011

From Filey to Wakefield Cathedral

Fileys own place for  target practice
Our family has been very grateful to this small place in Filey, just at the junction of Belle Vue Street and The Crescent. The models were made by Auxiliary Captain Ivor Dartnell Smith of the Filey Salvation Army more than 20yrs ago.*see Comments. There are times when a walk to somewhere just 5 mins from home, with small children, brings a useful break in a day, and a chance for those left at home to get the lunch, tidy up and restore peace of mind. The budgies no longer do it for us, and the Christmas windows in the Chocolate shop and Linen shop just dont go on for long enough. Aiming well and hitting the bell is worth all the small copper change you have .
Ian Ridgway, who with his wife Heather are part of St Oswalds congregation when here in Filey think so too. So much so that Ian is the brains behind an idea to raise money for Wakefield Cathedral  . Ian says he got the idea for a way  to make money  for  the Friends of Wakefield Cathedral  from Filey's well loved fundraiser.










Added in OCT 12 Julie those are the best I can do of the models in Filey.I dont know if there are any any where else.

9 comments:

  1. I am trying to find Michael Fearons article about these Models. Will post what I find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer Douglas says that the models in Filey were made by Ivor Dartnell Smith just over 40 years ago, as he lived in Filey just before she and Martin were married, 40 years ago in June. I put 20 yrs ago as the models were here when we moved to Filey 20 yrs ago. We all still measure time with mileposts in our own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the models still there ? Do you have any other photos of them ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes , they are still there, at the end of Belle Vue
    Street past the Belle Vue pub. Will take some more photos of them and put them on the blog for you.Give me a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That will be wonderful thank you.
    I met Ivor and would love to see more of his work.
    Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just seen the pictures of the models you put on here, they are ace, thank you :)
    Sorry I didn't comment sooner.
    Thank you again.
    I hope you are well and I hope you have had a lovely Christmas,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miriam Dartnall-Smith27 February 2013 at 00:44

    My dad, Ivor Dartnall-Smith made the Filey Well in approx 1968. I had the task of paddling in and getting the money out many times.... It was cold !!
    Sadly Ivor passed away age 82 in July 2012 but it is nice to know his handiwork is still giving pleasure to people in Filey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miriam Dartnall-Smith29 May 2014 at 13:06

    Thank you all for your kind comments about my dad. I don't believe that he made any other models in Filey although in later years he made a model village in his garden to amuse his many grandchildren and great grandchildren. Dad continued to enjoy using his talents for his hobby as an artist and poet and many people, myself included continue to get pleasure from his paintings.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...