Tuesday, 8 June 2010

Storm and Refuge

At the weekend we experienced an amazing electric storm. Safe inside, I wondered about how many families on the last day of their half-term holiday would have been under canvas, and how they would have felt about the magnifience of the storm!

In many ways it is easy to worship God and his powerfulness when one is safe and well and the storm is going on outside. It is a different matter when the realities of the storm impinge directly on us.

And, as so often, I turn to the Psalms for further understanding ...

Psalm 16

1 Keep me safe, O God,
for in you I take refuge.

6 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.

7 I will praise the LORD, who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.

8 I have set the LORD always before me.
Because he is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.

9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,

10 because you will not abandon me to the grave,
nor will you let your Holy One see decay.

11 You have made known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.


And so I turn again to God, my refuge, in thankfulness and praise, in worship and adoration, in good times and bad, and I shelter in the comfort of his everlasting arms.

And, apart from during electric storms, I take refuge under the canopy of His trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...