Thursday, 1 April 2010

Filey Parish Holy week; Maundy Thursday-Rev Max Youngs post

PSALM 116:12-19  (GNB)

12. What can I offer the Lord for all His goodness to me?
13. I will bring a wine offering to the Lord to thank Him for saving me
14 .In the assembly of all His people I will give Him what I have promised.
15.How painful it is to the Lord when one of His people dies!
16. I am your servant, Lord; I serve you, just as my mother did.You have saved me from death.
17. I will give you a sacrifice of thanksgiving and offer my prayer to you.
18-19 In the assembly of all your people , in the sanctuary of your Temple in Jerusalem, I will give you what I have promised.


I remember, as Reader and then Deacon how the words of verse 13 struck me - because they summed up perfectly what I was doing in the church. Then, when ordained priest, verse 17 increased the personal relevance of the Psalm to me. And then the verse 14 gets to me because of the word ‘all’. It reminds me as a Christian minister, that my ministry is potentially to all those with whom I come into contact day by day, not just those who come to church. And these words apply to us all – we all have a ministry. And what motivates us for giving what we have promised; bringing a wine offering for saving us; offering a sacrifice of thanksgiving; offering of prayer? The answer is in order to  repay the Lord for ‘all his goodness to’ us, that is in order to say ‘Thank you’ to God, for creating, redeeming and sanctifying us, for giving us our family and friends, and for calling us to be  ministers to all his people.

As you read and reflect on the words of this psalm, pray that God will give us all the necessary gifts of grace for the fulfilment of our individual ministries.




Max Young

3 comments:

  1. Rev:Max Young-yes 'TO ALL' isn't that mind blowing its such a pity 'All' don't realise it?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...