Saturday, 3 April 2010

Filey Parish Holy Week ; Holy Saturday. Rev David Fords post





Psalm 31 v1-4
For the director of music. A psalm of David.
 1 In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge;
       let me never be put to shame;
       deliver me in your righteousness.
 2 Turn your ear to me,
       come quickly to my rescue;
       be my rock of refuge,
       a strong fortress to save me.
 3 Since you are my rock and my fortress,
       for the sake of your name lead and guide me.
 4 Free me from the trap that is set for me,
       for you are my refuge.
We all have bad days that feel like a Crucifixion. We do our best and it is not  appreciated, even ridiculed. The truth we pronounce is counted as lies, delusion, or hypocrisy. We feel degraded, trodden on, despised, worthless.
It's a common experience in Scripture (Elijah, David, the prophets) as people of faith live out the implications of their trust in God within the confines of our sinful human experience.
And it happened to Jesus: on this Holy Saturday in the sepulchre, His life lay stamped and crushed by His enemies .
But this Psalm expresses the faith and trust that is able to say " though He slay me, I will yet trust Him" (v1) and reminds us that however low we feel we have fallen or been pushed, there IS always One who reaches down and pulls us from the depths of despair (v4) into the light of His presence. The experience is like Resurrection, for He shares His experience with those who trust Him!






David Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...