Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Filey Parish - 40 Days and 40 nights Day 28 - Psalm 46 1-8


1 God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.

2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,

3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.


For our family 2009 was a year of chaos, storm and deep despair, yet our situation was as nothing compared to those involved in the Haitian and Peruvian Earthquakes. How difficult it must be to take refuge in God when family members have died violently and the very earth itself is in constant motion.

Our promise as Christians is not for an easy life, but because we trust and love him and have come to know his Son, we can take refuge in him when everything else is a mess. As Jesus says:

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me (John 10:14 NIV)

This particular sheep has been confused, bewildered and totally overtaken by life's chaos but has always aware of one thing. He has a Shepherd who knows him, loves him and offers free sanctuary from the worst that life can offer. What a promise.

Bob Briggs

1 comment:

  1. I can echo this meditation by Bob. I was sent a tape of Ian White singing those words on his Psalms tapes. Those words helped to save my life when I was in a place of despair and anguish. I too, thought about the Good Shepherd who carries His lambs close to His Heart.
    Thank you ,Bob

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...