Wednesday, 31 March 2010

Filey Parish ;Wednesday in Holy week- Rev Ted Drayton






Psalm 70
'God :get a move on:come and help me!"(verse 1, paraphrased)

Such cheek! That is no way to speak to God is it?  Yet it is not only the psalmist who pesters God in that way.  At every BCP service of Morning or Evening Prayer , and in Common Worship Evening Prayer -we Christians say exactly that!  Of course we make it sound more polite and often sing it to beautiful music: 
'O God , make Speed to save us:O Lord make haste to help us"
Is it impertinent to speak to God in that way?  Perhaps both 'Yes and No'.  The psalmist knew that GOD REALLY IS: he, and countless millions of folk before and since the psalmist's day, KNOW that to be so.  At some stage of our lives we have experienced God, His presence and His goodness.  The psalmist's faith, your faith, my faith in God is not merely blind hope, it is the result of our experience of His interaction in our lives.

So;impertinent?  Perhaps.  When I was training for ordination one of our visiting speakers said
"By all means call Jesus your personal friend.  But don't become too familiar.  Remember He is THE LORD GOD ALMIGHTY"

I believe that so long as we do remember that , He will forgive our impertinence-and perhaps He will sigh with relief that we do indeed know He is there as both Lord God Almighty and our loving, personal friend.








 Ted Drayton

Psalm 70

For the director of music. Of David. A petition.
 1 Hasten, O God, to save me;
       O LORD, come quickly to help me.  2 May those who seek my life
       be put to shame and confusion;
       may all who desire my ruin
       be turned back in disgrace.
 3 May those who say to me, "Aha! Aha!"
       turn back because of their shame.
 4 But may all who seek you
       rejoice and be glad in you;
       may those who love your salvation always say,
       "Let God be exalted!"
 5 Yet I am poor and needy;
       come quickly to me, O God.
       You are my help and my deliverer;
       O LORD, do not delay.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it is impertinent to speak to God like that but maybe He would be saddened if were not talking to Him at all.So remembering that He is a Holy God. let us continue to call out to Him.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...