Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Filey Parish 40 Days and Nights , Day 36 Oh! for the wings of a dove!

In 1957 young people like me enjoyed  Pat Boone and Buddy Holly,The Everly Brothers and best of all Elvis 'The King' we also liked more innocent songs as heard on the Home Service, probably DJ' ed by Uncle Mac. We   listened to 'How much is that Doggy in the window?','The runaway train' and Ernest Lough singing 'Oh for the wings of a dove'. Everyone knew it, I didn't even realise until I was an adult that the music was by Mendelssohn and that it came from the Christian anthem Hear my Prayer , taken directly from Psalm 55 .

Who will give me wings," I ask—
      "wings like a dove?"
   Get me out of here on dove wings;
      I want some peace and quiet.
(The Message)
So today, fondly remembering Saturday mornings listening to Children's Favourites, I am reminded of words that I have always known to a tune I can always sing.

The  picture, above is  of what may be the remains of a Dovecote, on the ancient Fortress of Masada in Israel. Even if Doves were not kept for food on Masada, they most certainly were in the UK until the 18th Century. We even have one in Filey, part of the Church Cliff Farm development.
I do understand the Psalmists desire to escape to Peace and Quiet, in his case after one of his own friends betrayed him. This I suppose points to Judas , (one of those nearest to Jesus) whose part in the Easter narrative will be examined again by us all next week. I have been talking to a friend today about Judas and the betrayal.  It is not a part of the Easter story that is easy to understand.  We have come to the conclusion that all we can do is ask the Holy Spirit to point us to His Truth.
I just go back to the Collared Doves in my own garden. They fly away from me so quickly to the Peace and Quiet of the nearby trees where they are nesting. I cannot get a good photo of them .They live so near to the danger of our vigilant cat, and the Sparrow Hawk that sits on the roof across the road, and yet alert and quick they seem to escape every time.I hope that we all ,when seeking a runaway to the wilderness as David did, or a tree from danger, as my doves do , will remember to read on to verse 22

Pile your troubles on God's shoulders—
      he'll carry your load, he'll help you out. 
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...