Thursday, 18 March 2010

Filey Parish 40 days and nights Day 30

"Good" idols




Psalm 106: 19-22

They made a calf in Horeb
and worshiped a metal image.
They exchanged the glory of God
for the image of an ox that eats grass.
They forgot God, their Savior,
who had done great things in Egypt,
wondrous works in the land of Ham,
and awesome deeds by the Red Sea.

I will let the video speak for itself. It is easy to turn good things into idols. My uncle and aunty were going to plant a church about 20 years ago. They got married..... and got caught chasing idols, and now my aunty wants a divorce BUT praise God my uncle has come back to the faith over the last 6 months, a truly amazing man of God!

He said that he had made his family his idol, a good thing, and left him in the wilderness for 20 years. Only God can satisfy.

Good and bad "things" make bad gods. What idols do you have in your life?

Blessings James

1 comment:

  1. I am thinking about what my idol is and what I would save from a fire -Mark Driscoll put the message of Idolatry simply-so thanks James. Could be flippant and say Lipstick, or Holy sounding and say my Bible -will let you know when I see you. I have a friend who has given up Twitter and Facebook for Lent-maybe....
    Thinking of you as your Future unfolds xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...