Thursday, 22 October 2009

Lets send some post.........





One of the side effects of blogging has been a surprise to me. I have rediscovered the joy of writing letters and when on holiday ,postcards. All those critics who fear the demise of the language , and a need to communicate by spoken word may be surprised that we actually interact more than ever before in the history of mankind using language.
I take a pride in the postcards I send to my family. I choose them with care, and try to fit the card to the interest of the addressee.We have just been to Paris.
I looked for a Post Office all the first day . By day two I realised that the PO in France did not have a red sign with a yellow horn, that is Norway. I started looking for a yellow sign with the blue writing 'poste' that I had spotted from the 47 bus to the Place d'Italie. Once on the ground so to speak , they were very difficult to find. At the Place des Abbesses having visited a church ( art nouveau) there was La Poste nearly opposite the church door.I worked out how to use the stamp machine, very pleased with myself until the denomination was asked. I queued up to ask the price of a lettre to Angleterre,and got a book of 12.  They come in 12s which is unusual in a Decimal age, I thought.
I wrote the PCs watching CNN in the hotel room, the only channel I could understand.I would have enjoyed Brother Cadfael, but it was dubbed in French.Now to find another PO near our hotel. We went past three on the buses to the Renoir exhibition. By the end of day three I realised that 50m from our hotel was a post box.  I needed to send four more PCs to family , found some great ones at the Cimetiere Pere Lachaise . PC 's of  Memorials to Edith Piaf, Jim Morrison ,Oscar Wilde and Abelard and Heloise would be discussed amongst my closest kin and they would realise what an eclectic taste I have . Ancient parent had been sent the PC of  the Church in Place Des Abbesses , or rather the statue of the angel pouring water which doubled as a Holy Water stoup.
On our last evening I spotted many PO vans. from the Promenade Plantee. I just had to be near the Mount Pleasant of Paris.


Early next morning almost a Frenchwoman, I bought our breakfast at the Boulangerie, and bread and cheese for our lunch on Eurostar. The 47 bus again took us to the train and Passport control behind us we settle down to  dey par. I find the Postcards in my handbag just before we leave.
Spouse not pretending to be French talks communicates with the Platform Attendent. The last we see of Gare du Nord is an obliging homme posting our cards in his pocket  so that on his way home and having no difficulty at all locating a metal yellow box on a stalk will send our PCs on the their way to the UK sorting and delivery and strike system.

Oh, how sweet the light of day,
   And how wonderful to live in the sunshine!
   Even if you live a long time, don't take a single day for granted.
   Take delight in each light-filled hour
Ecclesiastes 11

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...