Friday, 11 September 2009

I know what I like or The treasure in the window

I just love this time of the year.
  • 2 of my grandchildren have started school. They look so angelic in their uniforms, and my grandson loves the Sponge Pudding and Custard.
  • The light on the sea kept changing yesterday as we sat in near solitary splendour at our chalet 
  • The emptyish  beach reminds one of the fun we had just weeks ago with cricket , wetsuits, buckets and spades ,inflatables and daily visits to the ice-cream kiosk by eager small children
  • It is time to get back in to a routine of learning new things 
  • Window shopping is viable again in Filey during normal working hours
    A found a treasure today . A small painting for sale in a shop window, and I know what I like. 
    For nearly 50 years I have enjoyed the paintings , drawings ,  embroideries and ceramics on show up and down the Yorkshire coast and into my native Holderness.
    My sister and I used to cycle to the  original Routh Pottery.in the 1960s. This is  now on sale in our local Gallery Shop,which was once a small photographic shop and now is a Window Shopper's treat.  I have bought  watercolours of Filey by A... C...k in the  local  Art Society Exhibitions . Our postman is a gifted artist. We make  regular trips to Whitby to see the 'Staithes School ' exhibits in the Pannett Art Gallery, and to the Scarborough Art Gallery (free on 12th Sept) and Crescent Arts.
    Many Saturdays, when I was a teenager, I used to go around Ferens Art  Gallery in Hull just for the peace and quiet of it, and so got to enjoy the looking. Here is my treasure from today then. Not in an Art Gallery, or in an exhibition of local artists or in an upmarket Gallery Shop, but nestling among the cagoules and wellingtons and rucksacks . I bought its companion painting as well.
    God's kingdom is like a treasure hidden in a field for years and then accidentally found.. Matthew 13

    1 comment:

    1. I will give you the treasures of darkness,riches stored in secret places,so that you may know that I am the Lord,the God of Israel,who calls you by name. Isaiah 45 v 2.

      ReplyDelete

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...