Monday, 6 July 2009

Cinderella in Hope Street

Another year of Spot the Oddity has just finished in Filey. For nearly 20 years I have enjoyed looking in dozens of shop windows to find the object that shouldn't be there. Now I know that the Filey Festival is going through a time of change .What started as a celebration of Filey as a Seaside Resort , as The Filey Edwardian Festival gave Traders and Businesses , Filey Children and Local groups a 2 week opportunity to Showcase the town.
I remember the excitement as the floats in the Festival Parade wound their way down to the front and back up the hill . I will never forget the stalwart helpers and aged residents of Silver Birches resplendent in Fancy dress ,on a huge lorry,waving to the roadside crowds. Health and Safety regs have put pay to all that fun.
I have been remembering the late Freda Coultas at the Festival Service in St Oswalds. She always managed to look more Edwardian than the Edwardians and we looked forward to seeing her outfits every year.
I felt less than glamorous as I cleaned the kitchen floor. My lovely new kitchen(installed by well known and much appreciated local plumber ) has a silver mosaic effect cushion floor.The slight raised pattern means that I have to scrub it to get it really clean. A mop and bucket works well for a quick wipe over only. My Cinderella Scrub is onerous .Last week , Filey Festival week , I was thinking that in Edwardian times all kitchen floors, doorsteps , lino and kitchen table tops would have HAD to be scrubbed clean , not just occasionally as I do , but weekly. Filey Festival will not be going back to Edwardian times. Things move on to better things.
So make the most of what we have here -Showcase what is special
  • A six mile stretch of beautiful sand
  • A 12th century Church
  • A feted Small Museum
  • Small local shops with personal service
  • Locally caught Crabs and Filey bay Salmon
  • 5 Good Fish and Chip shops
  • small restaurants including ,Italian, Chinese and Indian
  • Filey Fishermans Choir
  • Rail and National Express Coach links to the rest of the world!
  • An emerging Gallery and Craft Culture
  • lots of Parking space
  • A Camra pub
You Filey people will be thinking of lots more-send us your comments!
My highlight this last 2 weeks has undoubtably been the display in B.............Glass Shop in Hope Street . The best Oddity I have seen for years. You get my Prize.


1 comment:

  1. susanfbruce@yahoo.co.uk11 July 2009 at 20:10

    Dont forget the views. The Brigg to the north and Flambro to the south. Then there's RSPB reserve Bempton just down the road for those seeking Puffins,fulmars etc.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...