Friday, 10 April 2009

Filey Parish: Blogging for Lent – Dependence on the Cross


Christ Carrying the Cross as portrayed by EL GRECO - Domenikos Theotokopoulos 1580

I now have shingles! But the pain I am experiencing makes me think of the pain Jesus was in on Good Friday. The pain from flogging with weighted whips and crucifixion must be beyond imagination, far far worse than my pain; but it is a comfort to know that however bad our pain is, Jesus knows what it is like. I am very grateful for painkillers but all Jesus was offered was wine vinegar with gall and He refused even that. Why did Jesus go through such pain? He was taking on the punishment for our sins in our place so we could have eternal life. Each time we sin we need to be totally dependant on the cross of Christ. We look at what Jesus has done for us, so we can claim forgiveness and be enabled to overcome the sin. We need to keep thanking Him for what He has done for us, and keep depending on the Cross for our everlasting security. One day there will be no more pain. I like that!

1 comment:

  1. I love the picture you have chosen for your blog Brian. Hope your shingles clears up quickly.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...