Friday, 6 March 2009

Filey Parish:Blogging for Lent . Dark night of the soul

One dark night,
Fired with love's urgent longings
-Ah, the sheer grace!-
I went out unseen,
My house being now all stilled;

In the darkness, and secure,
By the secret ladder, disguised,
-Ah, the sheer grace!-
In darkness and concealment
My house being now all stilled;

On that glad night,
in secret,for no one saw me,
Nor did I look at anything,
With no other light or guide
Than the one that burned in my heart;

This guided me
More surely than the light of noon
To where He waited for me
-Him I knew so well
In a place where no one else appeared.

O guiding night!
O night more lovely than the dawn!
O night that has united
The Lover with His beloved,
Transforming the beloved in her Lover....

So starts the poem written in the 16thC by St. John of the Cross.Copyright 1991 ICS Publications.

There may be times when however right you feel with God and the World, a darkness of soul dulls your life, a lonely place, an unexpected drag, an ache of numbness. This darkness of soul reminds us of the desolation of Christ in the desert, and later desolation on the Cross. How do you get through it ? I have no answers, only, it passes!


All things ceased:I went out from myself,
Leaving my cares
Forgotten among the lilies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...