Sunday, 1 March 2009

Filey Parish: Blogging for Lent – Loneliness and Isolation

Throughout my life I have had a poor eye-hand co-ordination and at school I was always the last to be chosen for any sports team! So as a child and teenager I had plenty of experience of loneliness; but as I think about Jesus in the desert (Matthew 4:1-11, Mark 1:12-13, Luke 4:1-13) this is nothing compared to what Jesus must have experienced there. He would have been without human contact during a time when he would have been subjected to plenty of unpleasant stimuli. How He would have wanted someone he could speak to! Mark does mention him being attended by angels but these are likely to be unseen. Loneliness is now not a problem with me because of the acceptance of Christian brothers and sisters and friends and having a good wife and family. Could that be the same for Jesus when he came back to civilisation? I think not. He gathered twelve disciples around them but could He be friendly with them as equals? He was the only person without sin and that would make Him different. Would that have isolated Him? Now move forward to the cross after His disciples had deserted Him.(Matthew 26:56). On his own without any sympathetic human contact He suffered indescribable pain to give us sinners a chance. This must be the very worst kind of isolation. So to all of you who are lonely – Jesus knows what it is like.
These are just my own thoughts. Others may have different ideas. That is o.k and I would be interested to hear of them.

1 comment:

  1. thanks Brian. Lots of thought provoking stuff here. What you say about the relationship between Jesus and his disciples is interesting and not something I'd thought about before. Did his humanity enable him to draw comfort and companionship from them or did his holiness separate him from them in this respect? We know that as God, he chose to limit himself when he was here, to come down to our level in a way. Would this have enabled him to enjoy true companionship? I don't know!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...